- This event has passed.
Dr. Wolfelt Professional Training: Special Features of Sudden Death, Suicide Grief & Trauma Loss
November 20 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm$150.00
(Registration Required: https://alan-wolfelt-professional-training.eventbrite.com/?ref=estw )
Professionals gain clinical skills from Dr. Alan Wolfelt to address the special features of grief regarding sudden death and traumatic loss.
Dr. Alan Wolfelt is a noted author, educator, and grief counselor. He serves as the Director of the Center for Loss and Life Transition (www.centerforloss.com) in Fort Collins, CO.
Three CE’s and lunch are offered
This information workshop will help members of the caregiving community who want to further develop their knowledge and skills in helping the bereaved. Dr. Alan Wolfelt will explore a variety of topics related to understanding and supporting survivors of sudden, unexpected deaths. Content areas include: enhancing your understanding of trauma loss, special features of suicide grief, introduction to a model to identify the natural “complications” of grief.
Who Should Attend:
This compassionate workshop will help anyone who wants to learn more about how to support those who have experienced loss. Counselors, psychologists, social workers, chaplains, nurses, and other interested health care professionals helping individuals cope with traumatic grief are invited to attend. Regardless of your specific job title or life role, you can and will benefit from this learning experience.
- Define Trauma Loss
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the special features of sudden, violent death
- Recognize and respond to the unique needs of suicide survivors
- Learn a model to identify and understand “complicated grief”
- Among the content areas to be explored in this seminar are the following:
- Introduction to the Importance of the Topic
- Essential Ingredients of the Grief Caregiver
- Definition of Trauma Loss
- Special Features of Sudden, Violent Death
- Distinction Between “Treating vs. Companioning”
- Understanding the Difference Between “Curing” vs. “Caring”
- Understanding the Concept of “Liminal Space”
- Special Features of Suicide Grief
- Introduction to “Complicated” Mourning: A Model to Enhance Understanding
- Warning, Challenge, Reminder, Hope
Books by Dr. Wolfelt Available for Purchase: As a special treat for attendees of this event, a variety of Dr. Wolfelt’s books will be available for sale and autograph after the presentation. Visit his website to view the catalog at https://www.centerforloss.com/bookstore/
Dr. Alan Wolfelt is a noted author, educator, and grief counselor. Recipient of the Association for Death Education and Counseling’s Death Educator Award, he serves as the Director of the Center for Loss and Life Transition (www.centerforloss.com) in Fort Collins, CO. He is also a faculty member of the University of Colorado Medical School’s Department of Family Medicine.
Dr. Wolfelt is the best-selling author of more than fifty books including Loving From the Outside In, Mourning From the Inside Out; Understanding Your Grief; The Journey Through Grief; Companioning the Bereaved: A Soulful Guide for Caregivers; Healing a Spouse’s Grieving Heart; Companioning the Grieving Child; Healing a Parent’s Grieving Heart; and Creating Meaningful Funeral Ceremonies.
Dr. Wolfelt and his wife, Susan, a family physician, are parents to three children. They live in the foothills of the beautiful Rocky Mountains next door to the Center for Loss and Life Transition.
Special Thanks to the Following for Their Generous Support
Schneidmiller Family Foundation
Coplin Family Fund